Chase Building Halifax, NS
The Chase building was built as a Public Archives in 1932 and uses a different stone than is typical of most of Dalhousie University's buildings. It was designed to be trimmed with sandstone, but actually was built with limestone. The exterior envelope conservation project began in 2003 with an overview ground exterior envelope assessment. There had been previous attempts to fix leaks by caulking masonry joints, which was very hard to remove without damage. The arches were in poor condition and required stabilization. The previously leaky patio deck was re-tiled and an original steel door leading out to the deck was reconditioned. The windows, which dated from the 1970s when Dalhousie acquired the building, were replaced with a new aluminum window that reproduced the original window frame profile.