Forrest Building Halifax, NS
The Forrest Building was designed by J.C. Dumaresq and built in 1887. It was the first building on the new Dalhousie campus after the university left their original location at the north end of Halifax's Grand Parade. In 2001, G.F. Duffs & Co. Ltd. (now part of DSRA) prepared a conservation report which lead to the restoration of the exterior envelope in a multi-phase project. Large sections of the walls and buttresses had to be rebuilt due to their unstable condition, while most of the remaining brick was completely repointed. All of the dormers along with the copper and lead flashings were found to be beyond repair and so they were replicated and replaced. Two exterior stairs were also rebuilt with restored metal work. The deteriorated mansard roofing material was replaced with a slate look-a-like composite shingle to provide better performance and resemble the original slate roofing material. The tower, which was rebuilt in 1980, was reclad in copper with bands and curvature similar to the historic photos. Metal clad vertical hung windows that are similar to the originals replaced the arched windows in the back. The remaining fixed windows over awnings were reconditioned.