Nathaniel Salfas, AIA, MRAIC LEED®AP, NCARB, NSAA, NLAA, AANB, OAA, APTI, ICOMOS
Principal Architect, Building Conservation
Principal Conservation Architect at DSRA, Nathaniel has over 35 years of experience in a broad array of building types ranging from college and university buildings, government buildings, courthouses, commercial establishments, heritage conservation projects, industrial buildings, and residences. Prior to joining DSRA, Nathaniel was SNC-Lavalin’s Architectural Department Manager, completing over $350M worth of architectural designs during his six years in Atlantic Canada.
His prior work in the U.S. focused on heritage conservation projects, including the planning and rehabilitation of many of Maine’s largest textile mill complexes and the restoration of government, residential and commercial properties in Rhode Island. Nathaniel’s experience in heavy timber and masonry construction has been pivotal in the successful repurposing of vacant 19th century landmarks as new commercial and residential properties, essential to the revitalization of older urban centers.
Nathaniel has extensive experience in design, construction documents and coordination, BIM and Revit Architecture, and LEED®, as well as excellent time planning and problem-solving skills. He has a wealth of experience in building rehabilitation in Canada and the US, and he has hands-on experience with design, operation and maintenance challenges and costs associated with older municipal facilities. Nathaniel has a proven track record for building strong client relationships and design teams through leadership and organization, He is conscientious and respects the client’s time and budget.
- Conservation of Cape Race Lighthouse / Cape Race, NL / 2014 / $300K
- Restoration of Fort Wellington Carronade / Prescott, ON / 2018 / $350K
- Holyrood Regional Recreation Center / Holyrood, NL / 2018 / $26M
- Rehabilitation of Historic Bates Mill / Lewiston, ME, U.S. / 2006 / $75M
- Rehabilitation of St. Mary’s Church (The Franco Center) / Lewiston, ME, U.S. / 2010 / $12M
- Park Street Parking Garage and Bus Station / Lewiston, ME, U.S. / 2007 / $8M
- Waterford Valley High School / St. John’s, NL / 2014 / $45M
- Juniper Ridge Intermediate School / Torbay, NL / 2017 / $18M
- Rehabilitation of the Knapp Shoe Building / Lewiston, ME, U.S. / 2006 / $11M
- Southern Gatewat Parking Garage / Lewiston, ME, U.S. / 2007 / $6M